Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lalbagh Fort, Dhaka



DSC01960


Lalbagh Fort

DSC01966


Lalbagh Fort Front View


The fort of Aurangabad (আওরঙ্গবাদ), popularly known as the Lalbagh Fort (লালবাগ দূর্গ), was built in 1678 AD by the then Viceroy of Bengal Prince Mohammad Azam (মোহাম্মদ আজম), son of the Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb (আওরঙ্গজেব). The fort has a three storied structure with slender minarets at the South Gate. It has many hidden passages and a mosque of massive structure. Outstanding among the monuments of the Lalbagh Fort are the Tomb of Pari Bibi / পরি বিবি (Fairy lady) and audience room and Hummam Khana (bathing place) of Nawab Shaista Khan (নবাব শায়েস্তা খাঁ), now housing a museum. The fort was the scene of bloody battle during the first war of independence (1857) when 260 spays stationed here backed by the people revolted against British forces. It is one of the great historical places of Mughal era. A small museum is there in this fort where you will find the clothes and weapons of the Mughols.

DSC01968


Lalbagh Fort inside Archetectural view 01

Lalbagh fort is in the old town of Dhaka at Lalbagh. It is open 10 am - 5 pm Sunday to Friday. The capital city Dhaka predominantly was a city of the Mughals. In hundred years of their vigorous rule successive Governors and princely Viceroys who ruled the province, adorned it with many noble monuments in the shape of magnificent places, mosques, tombs, fortifications and 'Katras' often surrounded with beautifully laid out gardens and pavilions. Among these, few have survived the ravages of time, aggressive tropical climate of the land and vandal hands of man. But the finest specimen of this period is the Aurangabad Fort, commonly known as Lalbagh Fort, which indeed represents the unfulfilled dream of a Mughal Prince. It occupies the southwestern part of the old city, overlooking the Buriganga (বুড়িগঙ্গা) on whose northern bank it stands as a silent sentinel of the old city.

DSC01957


Rectangular in plan, it encloses an area of 1082' by 800' and in addition to its graceful lofty gateways on southeast and northeast corners and a subsidiary small unpretentious gateway on north, it also contains within its fortified perimeter a number of splendid monuments, surrounded by attractive garden. These are a small 3-domed mosque, the mausoleum of Bibi Pari the reputed daughter of Nawab Shaista Khan and the Hammam and Audience Hall of the Governor. The main purpose of this fort was to provide a defensive enclosure of the palatial edifices of the interior and as such was a type of palace-fortress rather than a siege fort.

DSC01963


Lalbagh Fort Inside Architectural View 02

Lalbagh Fort Paintings


Lalbagh Fort 17th Century Paintings


Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dhakeswari Temple (Mandir), Dhaka



Dhakeswari Temple (ঢাকেশ্বরী মন্দির) is one of the most oldest temple in Bangladesh. It was established by Ballal Sen (বল্লাল সেন) in 12th century. Some historians predict that the name of Dhaka city was derived from the name of this temple. Bangladesh government gave it the distinction of national temple. After the demolition of Ramna Kali Mondir (রমনা কালী মন্দির) by Pakistan army in 1971, Dhakeswari temple got the focus as a most important Hindu worship place in Bangladesh. This temple was renovated several times due to destruction in 1971 and in 1989/1990. This temple is very near to Dhaka University and can be reached by hiring a Rikshaw or Auto vehicles. It takes only 15-20 minutes from Dhaka University Campus.

P6100168


P6100166


P6100170


P6100175


P6100183


Picture 007



Translate